Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Book Review: The Wisdom of Hildegard of Bingen compiled and introduced by Fiona Bowie

The Wisdom of Hildegard of Bingen compiled and introduced by Fiona Bowie


This book is a collection of thirty short passages from the writing of Hildegard of Bingen, a twelfth century nun, abbess, theologian, musician, and writer. The passages are organized into sections like "The Trinity," "Human Responsibility," "The Harmony of the Celestial Spheres," etc. Often, they are accompanied by color reproductions of her paintings (yeah, she painted too!). The book is set up as a daily devotional for one month, with a reading for each day.

I read the whole thing in one sitting (most passages are very short) before I discovered the intended use. Even with my blunder, I still found it an interesting and intriguing introduction to Hildegard's works. I am curious to read more and am on the hunt for a more substantial work of hers or about her.


No comments:

Post a Comment